2017/18 Signings - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

2017/18 Signings

Thought it was worth starting a new thread rather than bundling it into last season's since that's now pushing 200 pages, it's good to have a post on the first page getting updated.

Players under contract to Summer 2018 unless stated.

Goalkeepers

1. Derek Gaston (30)

Connor Brennan (23)

30. Jamie McGowan (20)

Defenders

2. Lee Kilday (25)

4. Tam O'Ware (24)

5. Ricki Lamie (24)

6. Michael Doyle (26)

16. Lewis Strapp (18)

17. Mark Russell (21)

19. Luca Gasparotto (23)

23. Darren Barr (32) - player/coach

26. Jack Iredale (21)

Midfielders

3. Andy Murdoch (22)

8. Ross Forbes (28)

12. Michael Tidser (28) - June 2019

14. Gary Harkins (33)

15. Scott Tiffoney (19)

21. Ruaridh Langan (19)

25. Frank Ross (19)

Forwards

7. Gary Oliver (22)

9. Jai Quitongo (20)

10. Robert Thomson (24) - June 2019

11. Bob McHugh (26) - June 2019

22. Ben Armour (19) - on loan to Annan

Left the Club

Bryn Halliwell - retired

Jamie McDonagh

Conor Pepper

Kudus Oyenuga - Chelmsford City

Jon Scullion

Thomas Orr - Queen's Park

Jamie Lindsay (loan expired)

Aidan Nesbitt (loan expired)

Lawrence Shankland (loan expired)

Luke Donnelly (loan expired)

Only including development players who've played first team games as it'll get too crowded otherwise.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of contract:

Bryn Halliwell

Ricki Lamie

Mark Russell

Michael Doyle

Jamie McDonagh

Michael Tidser

Andy Murdoch

Conor Pepper

Kudus Oyenuga

Jon Scullion

Jamie Lindsay (loan)

Aidan Nesbitt (loan)

Lawrence Shankland (loan)

Keep.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

You'd assume Halliwell, Pepper and Scullion would definitely be released of the out of contract players. I'd be adding McDonagh and Oyenuga to that. We've little to no hope of getting Lindsay or Nesbitt back, and anyone who wants Shankland back doesn't know anything about football.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I think Duffy will try to sign McDonagh and Kudus again. I wouldn't disagree with them as squad players.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

I think Duffy will try to sign McDonagh and Kudus again. I wouldn't disagree with them as squad players.

Kudus is not good enough to play up front for us. He's supposed to be a striker. He shouldn't command one our the striker places in our squad.

He's done ok out wide but he's not a winger. He's not good enough to command one of the winger places in our squad. His only use out there is as an outlet for Duffyball which we should not be playing anyway. This team has been glorious with faced paced attacking and ball on the deck, not Duffyball which we have played, to absolutely zero effect, for the past few months.

Should be binned immediately.

I'd keep Doyle and McDonagh in addition to those listed already. Doyle is a 7/10 most games and is clearly a good influence in the dressing room and you can't ignore squad morale as one of the reasons this team has reached a semi final and got in to the playoffs. Mcdonagh is a confidence player and has a bit of a screw loose, but on his day he is a good option to have at right back and up front, which at our level having someone who can play in multiple positions can be valuable over the course of a season.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

There's an argument to be made for McDonagh being kept as full back cover if no right back better than Doyle comes in - still young, had some good games there, will only be used as cover - but absolutely no to Oyenuga.

On McGowan, my preference would be to get him out on loan to a League 1 or 2 side to get him a full season of first team football, with us bringing in a goalkeeper on loan ourselves to be first choice with Gaston as cover. That'd hopefully be the big test needed to establish whether he's going to be good enough and he could return to be first choice the following season, but if no quality goalkeeper is available I'd be happy to give him a shot in the League Cup.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

On McGowan, my preference would be to get him out on loan to a League 1 or 2 side to get him a full season of first team football, with us bringing in a goalkeeper on loan ourselves to be first choice with Gaston as cover. That'd hopefully be the big test needed to establish whether he's going to be good enough and he could return to be first choice the following season, but if not quality goalkeeper is available I'd be happy to give him a shot in the League Cup.

Agree.

Gaston has had 2 major periods of lost form/lack of confidence this season alone. We cannot go into next season trusting that he is reliable enough to take us to the next level. Likewise, we can't take the chance on leaving that responsibility to a relatively untested youngster who may or may not have it. Send him out on loan and make signing a new first team goalkeeper a top priority.

I think Doyle's nightmare against St Mirren, and general drop in form, is weighing heavily on the mind at the moment. He'd convinced me that he was a really good player by about February/early March. He's looked ponderous and clumsy of late, but there is a good player in there.

I'd keep Doyle and McDonagh in addition to those listed already. Doyle is a 7/10 most games

:eek:

onsP5NR.jpg

There's a few on the list that are signed that I'd find a way to get rid of:

Kikday, has no winning mentality.

Gaston, no reason to believe he will be better next season. Either put him or punt Wylie.

Forbes, he's peaked and it wasn't enough. If Tidser had played the same amount and hit all the free kicks it would probably have amounted to the same.

Murdoch and Tidser should be offered deals. None of the others take us beyond our level this season.

Kilday is a fine centre half for this level. Not sure where the "winning mentality" thing has come from.

Kilday, O'Ware, and Lamie are all fine. I think the question is whether there is something lacking in them which requires something else at the back. I also wouldn't say that it's a winning mentality that's missing, but whatever it is I'd say that Gunning had it.

Archived