Pre-season - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Pre-season

Jamie_M

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a day out that Arran tournament was for the fans btw. Can't remember much of the football thankfully.

Aye and we'll never be asked back.  Do you not remember the riot vans awaiting us in Ardrossan after the fighting on the ferry?  It was the headline in the local paper.  :lol:

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

On the subject of the League Cup and the Challenge Cup, I fail to see what's wrong with them. Not every tournament will have the glitz and glamour of the Champions League, but these two tournaments serve their respective purposes.

The only alteration to the format of either that I would make would be a first round of ten ties between Leagues One and Two's teams with the winners progressing to a last 32 and an open draw, rather than seeding it until the last 16. This would only mean one more match for the teams competing in Europe, and I don't see why the Quarter Finals couldn't be squeezed in the week before Christmas so as not to interrupt the European Group stages, as is the case in England. Ideally the League Cup could be finished in late October as was the case in the late eighties and early nineties, but with the expansion of the Champions League and Europa League that's just not practical. The Challenge Cup could however be finished by late October, not December, as was the case previously when the final itself is at a great risk of postponement. It does drag on too long now.

We've seen plenty of tournaments in the past like the Texaco Cup, the Dryborough Cup, the Tennent's Sixes. And down south, the Zenith Data Systems Cup and the Anglo-Italian Cup. Maybe there's a reason none of these exist anymore.

Aye and we'll never be asked back. Do you not remember the riot vans awaiting us in Ardrossan after the fighting on the ferry? It was the headline in the local paper. :lol:

😂 I remember the square go's on board and riot vans at Ardrossan but honestly can't remember the football. That day out had everything pretty much, not one for the faint hearted, or the family!

I'm sitting having breakfast in Dublin and there's ****ing football on the TV. Utterly ridiculous.

What football specifically? I know it's awfully rude of them, what with the existence of cricket, but several countries across Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania and the Americas are currently in the middle of their season. Next month there will be the Copa America and the CONCACAF Gold Cup, too. Not to mention most European seasons aren't even over yet.

EOho8Pw.png

What football specifically? I know it's awfully rude of them, what with the existence of cricket, but several countries across Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania and the Americas are currently in the middle of their season. Next month there will be the Copa America and the CONCACAF Gold Cup, too. Not to mention most European seasons aren't even over yet.

I don't even know. It was just people shouting.

Fortunately breakfast in Cork was much better. No noise, just The Irish Independent and a cup of tea 😊

MARTY OUT!!!!!

Football should cease mid-May and start at the end of August. It should be banned during the summer months. Summer is the cricket season.

Football is ubiquitous. I was on the Liverpool-Belfast ferry last night and they were showing games from 2010.

Gies a break.

That argument may have the tiniest shred of credibility in England where cricket is popular, but in Scotland to call it a minority sport would be an insult to minority sports.

I actually don't mind cricket, used to go quite regularly in the summer to Glanpark to watch Greenock CC when they were one of the best teams in the country. And if there were 50 spectators there it was a good day. So suggesting Morton should be 'banned' from playing football for 3 months of the year just for a handful of cricket fans is completely bonkers even for you old bean.

That argument may have the tiniest shred of credibility in England where cricket is popular, but in Scotland to call it a minority sport would be an insult to minority sports.

I actually don't mind cricket, used to go quite regularly in the summer to Glanpark to watch Greenock CC when they were one of the best teams in the country. And if there were 50 spectators there it was a good day. So suggesting Morton should be 'banned' from playing football for 3 months of the year just for a handful of cricket fans is completely bonkers even for you old bean.

Not only should football be banned in the summer but anyone even thinking about it should be shot.

MARTY OUT!!!!!

In Spain the promotion/relegation playoffs run right through to late June. In 2013 they didn't finish until June 30th. Considering the players had to be back for pre-season two weeks later that really is a short break.

EOho8Pw.png

This: its an absolute horrendous sport.

Incorrect; it's not a sport.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Guest David Edwards

Not only should football be banned in the summer but anyone even thinking about it should be shot.

That's a bit harsh McArthur. I'd give them 24 hours to leave the country first.

Archived