"current Knowledge Of The S.f.l." - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

"current Knowledge Of The S.f.l."

pedro.mcghee

Was just having a think there at the statement that has came out today do you not think that “current knowledge of the S.F.L.” is leaving it a bit limited and shows where the club wants to be what I mean is that it’s not showing ambition to bring in players form English lower ranks , Europe (if only) or SPL journeymen or youngsters .

Was just an observation

Thoughts

I am dyslexic and I am getting tired of your shirt

Was just having a think there at the statement that has came out today do you not think that “current knowledge of the S.F.L.” is leaving it a bit limited and shows where the club wants to be what I mean is that it’s not showing ambition to bring in players form English lower ranks , Europe (if only) or SPL journeymen or youngsters .

Was just an observation

Thoughts

It's got nothing to do where the players come from. Dougie, perhaps quite rightly, is looking for someone to coach the team who knows these lower leagues well.

Don't blame me I voted Yes!!!! - We tried to tell you !!!!!

Does that not show that we are then going to be confined to the lower racks for all eternity then?

I am not saying that we need someone in that will win us the championship this year but a bit of ambition to build for the years to come. I just don’t want to be on the lookout for another gaffer 18 months 2 years down the line.

Not getting at DDFR or the Club just wanted to see how others reading of it was

I am dyslexic and I am getting tired of your shirt

It's got nothing to do where the players come from. Dougie, perhaps quite rightly, is looking for someone to coach the team who knows these lower leagues well.

Someone who has taken a team through all 3 divisions into the SPL and a Scottish Cup final...

Did we not just sack someone with that on his CV??? :ph34r:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Does that not show that we are then going to be confined to the lower racks for all eternity then?

I am not saying that we need someone in that will win us the championship this year but a bit of ambition to build for the years to come. I just don’t want to be on the lookout for another gaffer 18 months 2 years down the line.

Not getting at DDFR or the Club just wanted to see how others reading of it was

I think the priority just now is staying in Division 1. Dougie Rae just wants to bring in someone who knows this league.

Doesn't mean to say he can't coach at a higher level

Someone who has taken a team through all 3 divisions into the SPL and a Scottish Cup final...

Did we not just sack someone with that on his CV??? :ph34r:

Aye we did, but appointing a coach is not an exact science :blink:

I thought that as well. Whist desireable to have "current knowledge of SFL" are we limiting the net here?

An example who I woudn't think would have any "current knowlege of SPL" at the time would have been Jim Gannon @ Motherwell and he certainly has fresh/new ideas and seems to be getting the players motivated and achieving good results so far.

Again just a thought.

Some of the names mentioned I wouldn't want anywhere near Cappielow e.g Rowan,Ian McCall.

What about Billy Stark & Peter Weir?

Youth during Weir's time were going great guns.

Although Morton may not be the most attractive proposition from their existing appointments. Would be a great challenge for them and an opportunity to achieve great things.

Stark has been the best manager we've had at the club for a good few years.

It's hard to judge that era, given everything that went on in the back ground - but I'd say Ian McCall was the one that got away. Not only was it McCall who picked us up when Stark had left us in a pretty lowly position, I think McCall's track record, particularly in this league, stands up to scrutiny, whereas Stark really struggled to push on at St Johnstone.

"Not only was it McCall who picked us up when Stark had left us in a pretty lowly position, I think McCall's track record, particularly in this league, stands up to scrutiny, whereas Stark really struggled to push on at St Johnstone.

"

Did you see the teams & tactics that McCall sent out at Cappielow when there last.?

Very very negative.

The cup tie against Rangers @ Love St comes to mind when we lost 0 1.

Also see herald Diary today. Re Mcall walking bun & unlit fag in hand in Glagows West end cadging a light from someone in a bar because he is choking for a smoke.

May be making sweeping generalisation but not the best example of discipline,keeping himself in shape for fellow professionals in a sports capacity.

Doubt very much that McCall would come back to cappielow.

We need someone who is tactically aware, good at man management and has a few contacts in the game.

Step forward Jimmy Nichol. Reckon he would do a great job.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

"Not only was it McCall who picked us up when Stark had left us in a pretty lowly position, I think McCall's track record, particularly in this league, stands up to scrutiny, whereas Stark really struggled to push on at St Johnstone.

"

Did you see the teams & tactics that McCall sent out at Cappielow when there last.?

Very very negative.

The cup tie against Rangers @ Love St comes to mind when we lost 0 1.

Also see herald Diary today. Re Mcall walking bun & unlit fag in hand in Glagows West end cadging a light from someone in a bar because he is choking for a smoke.

May be making sweeping generalisation but not the best example of discipline,keeping himself in shape for fellow professionals in a sports capacity.

I did see his teams and tactics here, and thought they were spot on. We were struggling and shipping goals, and he stopped that. He told Hugh Scott that, with a bit of support, he'd have us challenging the following season. Instead he got the boot, and went and mounted a challenge elsewhere. There is almost no doubt in my mind that he'd have been true to his word, but Scott was absolutely determined to sack him.

Whether he smokes or not is neither here nor there. In fact, Scott tried to infer that McCall was a bully because he asked someone to STOP smoking at Cappielow when the players were in.

I did see his teams and tactics here, and thought they were spot on. We were struggling and shipping goals, and he stopped that. He told Hugh Scott that, with a bit of support, he'd have us challenging the following season. Instead he got the boot, and went and mounted a challenge elsewhere. There is almost no doubt in my mind that he'd have been true to his word, but Scott was absolutely determined to sack him.

Whether he smokes or not is neither here nor there. In fact, Scott tried to infer that McCall was a bully because he asked someone to STOP smoking at Cappielow when the players were in.

Have to agree to disagree. I don't remember with affection the type of football he played when in charge of Morton.

Wasn't making a judgement on whether a prospective manager smokes or not. Just ponting out a reflection of him detailed in todays herald .

I have always seen him as someone who puts out a lot of shoite to his media pals before matches covering himself in case his side gets beaten.

e.g At thistle he often advises that he has 22 players injured& 19 suspended before a match and that it will be very challenging. ie He gets loads of excuses in to try to cover himself whatever the result.

However I understand that he is very well established in his West End Flat/lifestyle so thank fully he won't be prised out of it to slum it down in Greenock.

Stark has been the best manager we've had at the club for a good few years.

Stark was hopeless.

The guy had a fetish for central defenders, wasted the biggest wage budget that perhaps any Morton manager has ever enjoyed on filling the team with centre backs.

Needless to say the football was gash most weeks.

Along the track the train came puffin, Morton 1 Celtic nuffin.

Stark was hopeless.

The guy had a fetish for central defenders, wasted the biggest wage budget that perhaps any Morton manager has ever enjoyed on filling the team with centre backs.

Needless to say the football was gash most weeks.

I have always wanted to ask Billy Stark why he played Twaddle through the middle and Hawke out wide when it seemed glaringly obvious that Hawke could thrive on Twaddle's delivery...

Archived