'newspaper' Match Reports - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

'newspaper' Match Reports

InverAlly

Morton’s all-action start got the fans behind them right away and a Masterton free kick was headed off the six-yard line by Alan Archibald.

Wrong... most were pished :lol: :lol: :lol:

He added: "We know Morton play a certain way and good luck to them, but I am very angry that they did us from two set-plays. We had four or five good chances and, on another night, it could have been different. We warned them about giving away daft fouls and it has cost us.

What McCall's saying is what every 1st Division manager must be saying too. Last night it came good for us but that hasn't always happened. We DESPERATELY need more options.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they pretend to befriend you, then you win!

YER BARD

He added: "We know Morton play a certain way and good luck to them, but I am very angry that they did us from two set-plays. We had four or five good chances and, on another night, it could have been different. We warned them about giving away daft fouls and it has cost us.

What McCall's saying is what every 1st Division manager must be saying too. Last night it came good for us but that hasn't always happened. We DESPERATELY need more options.

Any evidence of this?

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man"

morton4rp5.png

I understand your point, but why so dramatic? Given we're half-way through the season, the only thing that is clear is that any team can beat any team in this league.

You're suggesting we're one dimensional...and yet we find ourselves 6th, having overcome a horrendous start to the season. Some judicious signings over the next few weeks should see us having, by far, a better second half to the season.

As an aside, picking up from an earlier post about Irons being clueless because he was looking at striking options, WHO (from those available) would YOU rather have us sign. I'm not having a dig; just interested in your perspective.

I think Mortonjag in his never ending criticism of the team, the management, the board and the players seems to forget that we are Morton, playing in the Scottish first division and were everything so perfect, for a start if our players were that good we would not be watching them play for Morton. There are no outstanding football teams in this division which is in part due to the league format and in part due to the rotten coaching philosphies on the rounds in Scottish Football over the last 10 / 15 years.

Who can blame Irons given the circumstances? He tried the open attacking football and we got hammered so he sticks with a way that of late has got us results more often than not. At Cappielow, we look a far more solid unit and hard to beat which is as good a base as any on which to build a successful team. If the sigings I hear are coming actually arrive then barring injuries, it should be a good 2009 for watching the Ton.

FIRST DIVISION RUNNERS UP 2012/13

Hey Man - Enough of your Stupidness

I understand your point, but why so dramatic? Given we're half-way through the season, the only thing that is clear is that any team can beat any team in this league.

You're suggesting we're one dimensional...and yet we find ourselves 6th, having overcome a horrendous start to the season. Some judicious signings over the next few weeks should see us having, by far, a better second half to the season.

As an aside, picking up from an earlier post about Irons being clueless because he was looking at striking options, WHO (from those available) would YOU rather have us sign. I'm not having a dig; just interested in your perspective.

That is exactly what I have been saying. I've just posted on another thread that the key positions IMO are two to add width and ideally a play maker in midfield. I DON'T regard a striker as a priority. We already have strikers who are not scoring because they are starving! As always I say that one does not need to have the answers in order to identify the problem. I'm not involved enough in Scottish football to have an update on available players.

I think Mortonjag in his never ending criticism of the team, the management, the board and the players seems to forget that we are Morton, playing in the Scottish first division and were everything so perfect, for a start if our players were that good we would not be watching them play for Morton. There are no outstanding football teams in this division which is in part due to the league format and in part due to the rotten coaching philosphies on the rounds in Scottish Football over the last 10 / 15 years.

Who can blame Irons given the circumstances? He tried the open attacking football and we got hammered so he sticks with a way that of late has got us results more often than not. At Cappielow, we look a far more solid unit and hard to beat which is as good a base as any on which to build a successful team. If the sigings I hear are coming actually arrive then barring injuries, it should be a good 2009 for watching the Ton.

Mortonjag and many others Ratarse! Read my posts at the season's start. I said the squad was limited but we'd be hard to beat, and I predicted we'd finish 5th when very few were so optimistic.

Irons then proceeded, IMHO, to make a complete fool of himself with his big ego, big mouth, and dismissive attitude. His man management was abysmal, and it's well known that he was three quarters way 'out the door' when Grady arrived like some miraculous Baby Jesus Saviour.

I really can't see any point to your post except to launch an attack on mortonjag. For that I award you the first 2009 prize for innovation! :lol:

Oh-and I forgot to mention that it is my humble perception that Irons believes a football pitch is 50m wide, and that football is supposed to be played like ping pong! :angry:

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they pretend to befriend you, then you win!

YER BARD

I really can't see any point to your post except to launch an attack on mortonjag. For that I award you the first 2009 prize for innovation! :lol:

Oh-and I forgot to mention that it is my humble perception that Irons believes a football pitch is 50m wide, and that football is supposed to be played like ping pong! :angry:

You really can be a paranoid wee chap sometimes. Not everyone is out to get mortonjag, you know. ;)

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man"

morton4rp5.png

You really can be a paranoid wee chap sometimes. Not everyone is out to get mortonjag, you know. ;)

:lol:

Don't be so daft. Mortonjag deserves to be attacked. Mortonjag enjoys being attacked provided the ammunition is legal!

That's a FACT! :blush:

YER BARD

:lol:

Don't be so daft. Mortonjag deserves to be attacked. Mortonjag enjoys being attacked provided the ammunition is legal!

That's a FACT! :blush:

Does mortonjag admit he is wrong? Because Davie Irons seems to have learned well from the first quarter of the season and found some terrific form.

His defence seems settled and all we need now are good full-backs/wingers and a high(er) scoring centre forward. Should we get them I would regard Morton as one of the most formiddable teams in the league.

Would you happily concede that he knows how to build a successful team - if not an attractive one to watch - if he achieves this?

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Does mortonjag admit he is wrong? Because Davie Irons seems to have learned well from the first quarter of the season and found some terrific form.

His defence seems settled and all we need now are good full-backs/wingers and a high(er) scoring centre forward. Should we get them I would regard Morton as one of the most formiddable teams in the league.

Would you happily concede that he knows how to build a successful team - if not an attractive one to watch - if he achieves this?

I fundamentally disagree about the centre forward issue being a priority. We need more width-we need decent crosses from the flanks, and a proper supply from midfield from which our current strikers are perfectly capable of getting their share of goals.

I look at his treatment of Smith, remember what happened after 'Newby' and ask myself if he's capable of learning anything.

He does NOT appear to know how to build a successful team, unless you mean that he copped out and handed over to James Grady, to whom he and we owe a huge debt of gratitude.

I believe he's an extremely good coach and a dreadful man manager whose ego is his downfall.

In summary, I believe that the recent improvement-and we ain't exactly top of the league yet-is much more down to the boys playing at their best again, and I don't put that down to Irons.

If and when I see him fielding a side which plays attractive, entertaining, and successful football, I'll be the first to applaud him.

YER BARD

"AT the start of the season picking up points at Cappielow for away teams was like pinching sweets from a baby."

If i remember correctly we've only had 3 points taken from us ONCE at cappielow, what an overstatement this is

1922 - GMFC - 1874

Archived