Hamilton Academical V Greenock Morton - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Hamilton Academical V Greenock Morton

AyrshireTon

Guest GibbyTON
I phoned in to Jim Traynor about that incident and got put on air - quite disgraceful, and if a ref did that in a game involving the OF he would be crucified. Looked a good goal but that's not the point - IT WAS AWARDED. The officials gave the goal and then under pressure from Accies they changed the decision and awarded a free kick for something that they could not have seen themselves - if they had the goal wouldn't have been awarded in the first place.

I know we moan about bad refereeing, but this is different. This is not about a ref making a mistake, it's about a ref deducting a goal which we have already been awarded. Never seen that happen and I'm pretty sure the ref can't do that under the rules of the game.

Yeah we were all listening on the Albert, good shout Alibi, some Accies fan tried in vain to say you were talking nonsense but that would be expected in retaliation.

Good shout m8

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok Here is my take on the game.

We (Morton) started very brightly only for us to lose a goal - an unforced error which we appear to lose far too often - when David McGurn bizarrely chose to rush out to a ball he was unlikely to get and then stop dead allowing the Number 4 (McCarthey?) to very calmly lob the ball over him and into the net.

The next 30 mins or so could well have seen Hamilton not only score one but bury us and put a headstone above us, myself and my pal counted 4 definate opporttunities, another goalkeeping disaster and a bizzare miss when it looked easier to score. All in all we were by and large relieved to get to half time only one down and not 3, 4 or possibly 5 down.

Second half was better from us. Chris Millar done well coming on at half time for the out of sorts Jamie Stevenson. He played decent short passes and his workrate was very high, which is what we were lacking. McGurn caught a full verbal blast from Stuart Greacen for another flip flop attempt and after that was never really in any trouble. Stuart and Ryan Harding then got to grips with Richie Offiong and he looked a bit "put out".

The team played and weaved pretty patterns through Hamiltons midfield and mopped up any danger, however once again there was no cutting edge up front, I also dont believe we used the flanks enough bearing in mind McAllister and Finalyson are the paciest players we have.

We had more or less settled and accepted a 1-0 defeat when the ball was whipped over from the right and Chris Templeman put it in, it looked like it came off his shoulder. Cue wild celebrations from the Ton players and fans (And NO flag from the Asst Referee who had moved towards the half way line) the ref then ran to get our players back in their half (I thought he was going to book someone for over celebrating) Once he done that the Hamilton goalie (who also did not look too confident all game) and 2 players made a bee line for the Asst referee - who was more or less at the dug outs. Much hoo haaing and verbals. The ref then walks back over - we all presumed to book a Hamilton player - and gets involved. Some 90secs later he gives a free kick. Cue more madness. 4 Ton players then rush to him and McInally heads in his direction followed by Martin Clark. A few off the Hamilton bench get involved too. It looked to me like he sent Jim Macinally to the stand and the Hamilton Asst too and thed Red Carded Martin Clark (or maybe Brian Graham who was 1 of our subs).

I can assure you most Morton fans were furious - wouldnt you be? - at this.

If a referee/asst referee buckles under pressure from Hamilton players (with all due respect to them) then How is he going to cope at an Old Firm game or the Edinurgh derby? Heaven forbid if he referees a UEFA game in Turkey and does the same.

I do think they both bottled it, i dont think they would have bottled it if it was a "bigger" (OF, Hibs, Hearts, Killie etc) team that was playing Hamilton.

For the record we too can wind our season back to the 1st game of the season when it looked as tho Clyde scored a legitimate equaliser and it was also disallowed. However on that occasion the Asst Referee stood with his flag up 2 yards from the corner flag which is exactly where todays Asst Referee should have remained!

Finally so much for Radio Clyde . On the bus home they mentioned the "countless" phone calls and emails that they had recieved from angry Ton fans about todays game.. However they prefered to talk about Gordon Strachan having the hump with them and the 65,000 (he laughed ) Rangers fans who are apparently heading to Barcelona without tickets. Not one caller was contacted regarding it. So they are clearly not interested in anyone outside the bigot brothers...Nothing new there then!

JB.

Power To The Powerless,

Strength Unto The Weak!

Guest GibbyTON
Ok Here is my take on the game.

We (Morton) started very brightly only for us to lose a goal - an unforced error which we appear to lose far too often - when David McGurn bizarrely chose to rush out to a ball he was unlikely to get and then stop dead allowing the Number 4 (McCarthey?) to very calmly lob the ball over him and into the net.

The next 30 mins or so could well have seen Hamilton not only score one but bury us and put a headstone above us, myself and my pal counted 4 definate opporttunities, another goalkeeping disaster and a bizzare miss when it looked easier to score. All in all we were by and large relieved to get to half time only one down and not 3, 4 or possibly 5 down.

Second half was better from us. Chris Millar done well coming on at half time for the out of sorts Jamie Stevenson. He played decent short passes and his workrate was very high, which is what we were lacking. McGurn caught a full verbal blast from Stuart Greacen for another flip flop attempt and after that was never really in any trouble. Stuart and Ryan Harding then got to grips with Richie Offiong and he looked a bit "put out".

The team played and weaved pretty patterns through Hamiltons midfield and mopped up any danger, however once again there was no cutting edge up front, I also dont believe we used the flanks enough bearing in mind McAllister and Finalyson are the paciest players we have.

We had more or less settled and accepted a 1-0 defeat when the ball was whipped over from the right and Chris Templeman put it in, it looked like it came off his shoulder. Cue wild celebrations from the Ton players and fans (And NO flag from the Asst Referee who had moved towards the half way line) the ref then ran to get our players back in their half (I thought he was going to book someone for over celebrating) Once he done that the Hamilton goalie (who also did not look too confident all game) and 2 players made a bee line for the Asst referee - who was more or less at the dug outs. Much hoo haaing and verbals. The ref then walks back over - we all presumed to book a Hamilton player - and gets involved. Some 90secs later he gives a free kick. Cue more madness. 4 Ton players then rush to him and McInally heads in his direction followed by Martin Clark. A few off the Hamilton bench get involved too. It looked to me like he sent Jim Macinally to the stand and the Hamilton Asst too and thed Red Carded Martin Clark (or maybe Brian Graham who was 1 of our subs).

I can assure you most Morton fans were furious - wouldnt you be? - at this.

If a referee/asst referee buckles under pressure from Hamilton players (with all due respect to them) then How is he going to cope at an Old Firm game or the Edinurgh derby? Heaven forbid if he referees a UEFA game in Turkey and does the same.

I do think they both bottled it, i dont think they would have bottled it if it was a "bigger" (OF, Hibs, Hearts, Killie etc) team that was playing Hamilton.

For the record we too can wind our season back to the 1st game of the season when it looked as tho Clyde scored a legitimate equaliser and it was also disallowed. However on that occasion the Asst Referee stood with his flag up 2 yards from the corner flag which is exactly where todays Asst Referee should have remained!

Finally so much for Radio Clyde . On the bus home they mentioned the "countless" phone calls and emails that they had recieved from angry Ton fans about todays game.. However they prefered to talk about Gordon Strachan having the hump with them and the 65,000 (he laughed ) Rangers fans who are apparently heading to Barcelona without tickets. Not one caller was contacted regarding it. So they are clearly not interested in anyone outside the bigot brothers...Nothing new there then!

JB.

Very good post indeed Jack

Hardly a surprise we got beat today , Hamilton were the better side by far .

going by your posts on this thread it seems as if you were no where near hamilton today. so tell me this, how can you post "hamilton were the better side by far". Talking out your bumhole again???????

sigs are for fuds

was directly in line with the cross ball to tempelman appeared to hit his shoulder but ref and his assistant gave the goal it wasnt untill the hamilton players raced over to the linesman going right into his face that led to the goal being disallowed if the linesman had disallowed the goal right away i would have accepted his decision so in future we should question every decision that goes against us u never know one day it might work for us

This sets a serious precedent for the game in general.

The rule saying the referee’s decision is final is no longer valid. Although the ref can change his mind if the linesmen advises him otherwise until the ball is back in play but we always hear people saying that there’s no point in arguing with officials once they’ve made their decision - in this case the officials HAD made their decision then changed it following the Hamilton players approaching the linesman.

The authorities must take some action to resolve this otherwise it gives carte blanche to anyone who is not happy with a decision to badger the officials until he changes their mind to suit.

No doubt it will be ignored, though, and the only action will be to punish those who were sent off.

I phoned in to Jim Traynor about that incident and got put on air - quite disgraceful, and if a ref did that in a game involving the OF he would be crucified. Looked a good goal but that's not the point - IT WAS AWARDED. The officials gave the goal and then under pressure from Accies they changed the decision and awarded a free kick for something that they could not have seen themselves - if they had the goal wouldn't have been awarded in the first place.

I know we moan about bad refereeing, but this is different. This is not about a ref making a mistake, it's about a ref deducting a goal which we have already been awarded. Never seen that happen and I'm pretty sure the ref can't do that under the rules of the game.

I agree. The linesman definitely appeared to change his mind, having decided AT THE TIME OF THE INCIDENT that it was a good goal. The only thing that could have caused that was intervention by players and Hamilton officials. That is clearly ILLEGAL, and we SHOULD protest officially. As others have commented, if this had happened at an OF match it would have dragged on for months.

Refs often reverse their own decisions after consulting a linesman who had a better view-this was totally different, and the whistler MUST explain why he allowed his assistant to CHANGE HIS MIND almost a minute after the goal. Furthermore, if the goal WAS chalked off for deliberate handball, why was Sanny not booked?

Surely somebody must have video footage (even mobile 'phone footage) of the linesman's initial reaction, because it all hinges on that. Like some others, I always glance over towards the line before celebrating a goal,and he was definitely making his way back toward the centre line, flag down.

SHAMEFUL IN THE EXTREME.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they pretend to befriend you, then you win!

YER BARD

This sets a serious precedent for the game in general.

The rule saying the referee’s decision is final is no longer valid. Although the ref can change his mind if the linesmen advises him otherwise until the ball is back in play but we always hear people saying that there’s no point in arguing with officials once they’ve made their decision -

in this case the officials HAD made their decision then changed it following the Hamilton players approaching the linesman.

The authorities must take some action to resolve this otherwise it gives carte blanche to anyone who is not happy with a decision to badger the officials until he changes their mind to suit.

No doubt it will be ignored, though, and the only action will be to punish those who were sent off.

CORRECT, and by a slight stretch of the imagination, the official deliberately altered the result of the match for his own ends (to avoid further aggro and hassle from player/officials).

He is IMO guilty of serious professional misconduct. There's a big 'it' thing now about Refs coming clean after games, and admitting they are only human. If Thomson comes clean,we should get one point or a replay-and before you argue, WHY SHOULDN'T this game create a precedent?

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they pretend to befriend you, then you win!

YER BARD

It just seems that some folk on here always seem to have a glass is half empty kind of attitude, "yes we're 4th... but...."

If that wasn't what you intended then i apologise.

No problems !

I was just refering to the fact that despite our back to back wins the pressure is still immense every week . I was trying to be realistic about the whole league .

Ok Hamilton are way out infront put a few good results could put us second likewise a few bad ones could see you propping up the league for a week or two .

Surely after a massive decision the ref/linesman should explain why he came to the decision he did,and if it was indeed handball T ems should have been booked

FOUL...Temps booked

NO FOUL ....goal stands

The whole thng was a farce -the Linesman 'bottled it', and Thomson was left to make a decision on the 'NEW' evidence provided by Hamilton. As you correctly state, if the 'free' was awarded for 'handball' why was Sanny not booked?

That Ref is supposed to be of European Cup standard-he should have told the wee flag waver to stick it up his arse for changing his mind, but he didn't. I really hope the Ton make an official protest.

YER BARD

Archived